Sunday 4 April 2010

A Tale of two constituencies

Yesterday I helped distribute election literature in two different areas, and what a contrast they were. Starting off in the centre of Hull campaigning for the three Hull candidates (Gary Shores, Victoria Aitken and Christine Mackay), the response was variable at best. True, one person congratulated us on getting out there and raising the profile of the Conservatives, but most were entirely disinterested or outright hostile, with one gentleman suggesting he wouldn't "wipe his f**king ar*e with the leaflet" and referring to us as "Tory bast*rds". What was most striking about the responses was how upset people still are about the 80s and Margaret Thatcher, entirely forgetting that, just like will happen in the next few years, a lot of the pain the country suffered was a direct result of the economic mismanagement of Labour.

After a few hours of campaigning, we went and joined Andrew Percy in Brigg and Goole, a very different area indeed. Currently held by Labour, Ladbrokes are currently giving odds of 1/7 on the Conservatives winning the seat, and with the effort and enthusiasm I saw yesterday I can understand why. We ended up distributing leaflets in Hook, a beautiful little East Riding village which made me feel very poor since I knew I would be unlikely ever to earn enough to buy a house there. The residents who I stopped and spoke to were friendly, they smiled and at no point did they call me a Tory basta*d, and while I don't mind the abuse it's nice not to feel loathed on occasion!

5 comments:

  1. I live near Hull and frankly I'm not remotely surprised at the reception you received. I wouldn't worry though, in Hull they'd vote for a baboon if it had a red rosette. Fortunately,an awful lot of them are too bone-idle and uninterested to even bother. Of course, I suppose a few might stir from their pits if the election was held on a dole-day.
    Anyway, let Karl Turner have it, but I shouldn't be surprised if they vote in a BNP MP frankly, and I'll laugh my ass off if they do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a baboon not too far away in the shape(!!) of Prescott.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the role of the BNP in Hull might actually be quite interesting, I don't think they will win anything but they might affect the vote share of the other left wing parties like Labour. The fact that the TUSC are putting someone up in Hull West and Hessle could also be good for taking votes from the Labour candidate, but sadly I fear he has quite a few votes to spare!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry mate, you're a nice guy and everything, but only a diehard Conservative would even attempt to blame Thatcher's policies on Labour... and to most others it sounds immensely irritating. Why dont you just disconnect yourself from her? The woman was a disgrace to a large part of the population and is the most widely detested leader this country's ever had, it's ridiculously overly party-political to stand by her despite that. Even if you like her, best kept quiet in my opinion. If you actually believe in some of her more ridiculous policies (cough, poll tax... that was a Labour invention, was it? Not just a Tory way to make even less poor people vote?) than I have a major problem with that, to the point that I wouldnt vote for you despite you being a mate... sorry :S.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, fear not, the Poll tax was a cock up and no mistake, and in fact I wouldn't say she get remotely everything right, but I think the way that she has be demonised by people is deeply unfair. Every leader has their good and bad points and makes decisions that aren't popular with people, but on balance I think she did some positive things for the economy which got this country out of a bad situation. But as I say, won't be defending the Poll tax, not a good move!

    ReplyDelete