Monday 12 April 2010

The long and winding road(s) to victory

I know a few things about this evening:

  • I started the evening with a pile of leaflets, now I have less
  • I have walked some distance and my knuckles are sore from being scraped by letter boxes

Other than that, it's all a bit of a mystery. I know I delivered some leaflets to some houses, I'm willing to bet about 75% of the ones on the estate I was doing, but for the life of me I couldn't tell you which 75%, because I got a little lost. Now I'm a methodical guy who has a map of the estate and everything, but there are two small problems:

  1. The map doesn't even try and illustrate all of the streets in the estate, and there are lots, because....
  2. The layout of the streets and cut-throughs and paths would make Escher take one look and have to go and have a lie down in a darkened room

So a successful evening in that I've delivered some leaflets, and I can now in good conscience tick off that area, but I can't honestly say I'm convinced that I didn't miss bits!

In other election news, the candidates have been announced for the local election, and I now know I face people from Labour, Lib Dems, Greens, UKIP (which is annoying because I'm very Eurosceptic dammit), English Democrats and the National Front. Yes, that's right, the party for those who just don't think the BNP are extreme enough is fielding a candidate in my area, actually quite looking forward to seeing if they put any election materials out, not quite sure what they stand for other than white people.

All of which brings me to my final point:

Why is it, less than a month from the election, that the only things I've seen from candidates are mine and a letter from the Labour guy? I know not everyone has money to spend (although leaflets really aren't that expensive it turns out), but I'm starting to wonder if everyone is actually going to campaign that actively, would seem odd if the Lib Dems didn't at least make a bit of a go of it! Oh well, only time will tell I guess...

No comments:

Post a Comment