Saturday 3 October 2009

Magic Thinking

“When I was ten I could fly."

What if the things you believe as a kid are really true?

After so much of me ranting about what everyone is doing wrong, I think it only fair I interject some praise where it's due. On Thursday I went to see "Magic Thinking" by Eamonn Fleming at the Hull Truck Theatre, and the only word I can rightly ascribe to it is "brilliant". One man, on a stage, various odd props around him, but fundamentally just one guy talking to the audience for an hour, a format that's not always easy to do well. The reason it worked so well: because Eamonn Fleming is a man you could listen to for hours, not because he's telling jokes but because he's genuinely interesting and witty. Think your funny, extrovert best mate, the one who everyone just wants to be around, the one whose words everyone hangs on. But with props. Did I laugh so hard it hurt? No. Did I reach the end of it and sit there thinking "Wow, that was brilliant"? Yes, and that for me is the mark of success.

Definitely recommend seeing him if you've ever got the opportunity, you won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment